Sunday, September 25, 2011

2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal

After reading only a snippet of the article, “2045: The Year a Man Becomes Immortal,” I quickly concluded that the proposals that Kurzweil expressed are borderline insane. I believe that his opinions on our future technology are definitely not healthy for society at all. I am a true believer in Jesus Christ, and I will stand firm when I say that I personally would not want to have artificial intelligence or live for the rest of eternity. I believe that one should be proud to age gracefully, and if they want to become more intelligent, they don’t have to have something put into their brains to progress their minds. They are perfectly capable of sitting down and reading an actual book, knowing and being proud that they did this on their own. I believe that people who want the impossible (i.e. to become immortal) are trying to cheat their way out of the system, the system being content with aging and progressing through life, gracefully and naturally. I think the whole idea goes back to the all-famous theme of never being fully satisfied with what you have. People have now begun to think that they are capable and deserving of living for all of eternity, when they really don’t need to. I’m not saying I believe that these philosophies aren’t realistic, because “it’s not a fringe idea; it’s a serious hypothesis about the future of life on Earth”. I think that we have made it this far technologically, so there’s really no stopping us now. But I do believe that such extremes as these are pointless and not needed. Pretty soon we won’t know the difference between what’s real and what’s made from a computer…there will be a “transformation of our species into something that is no longer recognizable”. I believe that God intended for this earth to be something beautiful that HE created, just like the earth was 6,000 years ago when Jesus walked on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment